The Claw

Play for Janie

A Girl's Soccer Game ended in 5-0 Victory

Memorial Shirt of Janie

Dustin Meltzer

Memorial Shirt of Janie

Stella Chen, Editor

On Friday night, October 21, 2016,  Kimball Union Girl’s Varsity Soccer (abbreviated as GVS henceforth) played against Proctor Academy in memory of their late teammate who passed away from a car accident, Janie Cozzi’ 19. The game took place on KUA’s Pope Field with supportive fans and friends not only from KUA, but also Janie’s hometown high school, Harwood Union. Even though it was constantly raining, the Wildcats took a 5-o win, which served as the best memorial for Janie, since Proctor Academy was the last team she played. Moreover, following the game, the community held a memorial event for her family in which everyone on the soccer team shared one favorite thing about Janie.

Start-off

Dustin Meltzer
Start-off

To begin the game, captains Ella Bankert, Julia Denny, Charlotte Greenspan and Julia Surgenor gifted two soccer balls with all teammates’ signatures to Janie’s family on the sideline. After a round of applause and cheers, the game officially started. 14 seconds later, the Wildcats had the first goal, with Julia Surgenor sending the ball deep, and junior Taylor Soule dribbling and successfully scoring the first goal.

Junior Taylor Soule chasing after the ball

Even though the Wildcats did not get the second goal in the first half, junior Sam Chase, sophomore Scout Beaupre and freshman goalkeeper Olivia Brooker, as well as the rest of the defense, did an excellent job keeping the goal safe. After 10 minutes of halftime, Proctor had a few close chances to take make a goal. Nevertheless, a strong defense lead by Julia Denny helped Kimball Union maintain the score at 1:0. In the next 10 minutes, the Wildcats had some attempts to make another goal. However, they all got disturbed by Proctor’s solid defense until a goal-kick from Proctor’s goalie allowed junior Maise O’Shea to gain control of the ball and send it up front to Ella Bankert. This time, Bankert did not squander the opportunity, and after a long pass, the ball flew by the Proctor goalkeeper, straight down in the net. Five minutes later, after a KUA throw-in, the ball was again taken by Ella Bankert. Quickly, Bankert passed it to Taylor Soule in front, and she successfully made the third goal.

Captain Ella Bankert was ready to take the shoot

Dustin Meltzer
Captain Ella Bankert was ready to take the shot

Goalkeeper Olivia Brooker

Dustin Meltzer
Goalkeeper Olivia Brooker

Although the weather quickly descended into pouring rain, the enthusiasm on the field did not dampen. Fans and family kept cheering for the Wildcats. 6 minutes left on the clock, freshman Gracie Garmache scored the fourth goal, helped by junior Rose Sperry. The Wildcats were on fire! With two minutes remaining, Gamache got another chance to shoot. Even though it bounced back and forth at the goal, she stuck with it and sent it in.

Cheering after the goal

Cheering after the goal

Even though the Wildcats had a 5-0 lead, they did not give up their effective defense until the last second. When referees blew the whistle, the crowd was galvanized with excitement, rushing out to the field. Cheering and hugging were the only things left on the field. In the end, Head Coach Dan Weintraub wrote, “This was a big night for Wildcat Nation. With fans and friends in attendance from both the KUA and Harwood communities, the girls roared as one – they played, hearts overflowing with love for their fallen friend, for the love of the game, and as an expression of the love they feel for each other. This is a team like no other. They make Kimball Union proud every time they step onto the field.”

Fans on the sideline even in the rain

Fans on the sideline even in the rain