Back to Article
Back to Article

Staff Streaming Picks: Low-Commitment Netflix Options

No time to spare? Here are some shows ideal for a quick binge

Riverdale

While Riverdale follows the original Archie characters from the popular 1950’s comics, there is a slight twist: there has recently been a murder in town. Follow the group of teens as they investigate and deal with the death of a classmate, while also navigating other aspects of their lives. The tone is decidedly darker than its comic inspiration, but it’s all the better for it. The super addictive series currently has two seasons, but with only one available on Netflix as of right now, it makes for a-low commitment show.

The End of the F***ing World

The new hit, The End of the F***ing World, is available on Netflix and is easy to get through. With each episode being less than 30 minutes and only 8 episodes in the series, it’s the ideal show for our one-day weekends here at KUA. Follow Alyssa and James as they escape their home lives together on the road. The show will keep you guessing and throw in ample surprises. The adventures of Alyssa and James can go from wholesome to dark with little warning, but there is always some humor to keep it from getting too intense to watch.

American Horror Story: Coven

If you have wanted to start AHS but are overwhelmed by the show’s many seasons, just watch season 3, entitled “Coven”. The beauty of AHS is that it is an anthology of different story lines, so each season is its own story. Coven takes place in both present and past New Orleans, focusing on everything from Salem witches to Voodoo. The show can frequently get graphic with over the top gore, but if you aren’t super squeamish about blood, guts, or enimas, you should be relatively okay… as long as you watch with the lights on. Get ready for a speed-round scare.

Freaks and Geeks

While Freaks and Geeks was made in the late 90s into the early 2000s, it takes place in 1980s Michigan. The show follows the students at the local high school, specifically a group of ‘freaks’(burnouts, losers, and rebels without a cause) and a group of ‘geeks’ (think “Dungeons and Dragons”). It has humor, a great soundtrack, and a cast of (at the time it was filmed) up and coming celebrities, including a young James Franco. With only one season, Freaks and Geeks is an ideal low-key show to watch if you want something new.

The Claw • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in